When schools reopen, children will need us more than ever before.
- Read Write Spell leverages the power of community volunteers to provide free, one-to-one, reading instruction to Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Schools (WS/FCS) students who struggle with literacy. Our approach is rooted in the science of reading and is scientifically proven to be more effective, for more children, than traditional literacy instruction.
- Sadly, only half of the students in WSFCS can read proficiently. The good news is that 90% of struggling readers can increase their reading ability to age-appropriate levels with intensive early intervention.
Volunteer with us and help a child learn to read.
- Due to COVID-19 students are missing out on critical literacy instruction. When they return to school they will need our help more than ever before. You can help our children recover. We will train and support you and give you and your student all the tools necessary for success.
- Due to the ban on group gatherings, we are now offering one-on-one information sessions. Register (hyperlink) for your personalized info session today. (link to learn more page in drop down menu)
Hear what our volunteers say:
“One of the best things I do with my time is to work and volunteer with Read Write Spell as a reading tutor…when schools are able to reopen next year we will need reading support more than ever. Please consider getting trained to tutor a child next year. You are needed more than ever!”
- The K-1 Foundations program trains and supports volunteer tutors to work with kindergarten and first grade students.
Learn more (button that links to K-1 page in drop down menu)
- The 1st & Up ALP Program trains and supports volunteer tutors to work with students in first grade and up with identified reading difficulties.
Learn more (button that links to 1st and Up page in drop down menu)