(1/5) Skilled reading is the product of decoding AND language comprehension. If kids can’t decode, their comprehension is moot, because they don’t know what the words are. If kids don’t have strong background knowledge/vocab, they won’t understand most of what they decode.
- Balanced Literacy’s Crumbling Foundation – What Can We Do about It?
- Background Knowledge: The Compass Pointing to Reading Comprehension
- Join the Movement
- The Survival List
- Not just for Dyslexia
- Learning about your Child’s Reading Development
- How to Pronounce the 44 Phonemes
- How Spelling Supports Reading Instruction
- Deep Reading Brain in a Digital World
- The Science of Reading is not…